Saturday 6 October 2012

Runny Nose

Cold mornings give me a runny nose but that's no excuse for taking the easier route out of Villafranca by mistake. Occasionally my guide book shows a choice of route. This next section had 3. The hardest had three ups and downs before the point of conversion of all routes. On a sunny morning it was the most scenic. The medium route had one serious up and down and scenic views. That's the one I meant to take as less severe on my leg but I was a mile up the wrong path before I realised and didn't fancy a two mile addition to get back to the start. The easy way was pounding gradually uphill by a dual carriageway - there are no pictures of that to show you of 12 miles. The second part all routes joined for a steep climb running where possible to the amazement of the hikers and enjoying a beer half way up in bright sunlight as the midday sun beat down. It was 26 degrees. Rewarded by a beautiful mountaintop village with panoramic views only 17.5 miles or so covered, but this was my stop for the night - O' Cebreiro. Stayed at a Gailician municipal Albergue which gave out an anti-bed bug sheet and a pillow tube for reassurance! View from my window in photos. Sound of bag pipes from a bar in this Celtic part of Spain, a simple old church, interesting thatched buildings all in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment