Wednesday 10 October 2012

Running the final leg

Arrived today at Santiago Cathedral Tuesday 9 October at 11.30 am in time for Pilgrims Mass at noon. Incense swinging was brilliant, a huge censer swings across the transepts on a pulley system manned by a team of four ....worth the run but I was soaking wet and left a puddle in the pew!
So have I arrived? What next? I was struck by a prayer displayed in a church at O' Cebreiro. Prayer of La Faba. It ends with these words - Although I may have seen all the monuments and contemplated the best sunsets, although I may have learned a greeting in every language or tasted the clean water from every fountain; if I have not discovered who is the author of so much free beauty and so much peace, I have arrived nowhere. If from today I do not continue walking on your path, searching and living according to what I have learned; if from today I do not see in every person, friend or foe a companion on the Camino, if from today I cannot recognise God, the God of Jesus of Nazareth as the one God of my life, I have arrived nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment