Sunday 7 October 2012

Just running scared no place to go

Today Sunday 7 October it was mild at first then very hot at midday with a little cloud at times giving some respite later in the afternoon. Today's run turned out to be 28 miles but I did walk on some steeper sections and to get my breath back. From Sarria past the Monestary and its modern cemetery by a railway and along roads and country tracks undulating all the way to Palas De Rei. At times I could have been running near Kelsall in Cheshire it was much the same scenery. Then the half way point of Portomarin was beautiful a bridge across the river with views both ways that were breathtaking. I had a longer stop than usual as after a break my leg really hurt but once I started running the pain disappeared, so I kept on going further than I expected and there were so many pilgrims on the latter part that I was scared the hostels would be full when I got here. I got the next to last bed thankfully.  A lot of the Camino is by the road, it is not all pretty. Then around a corner some magic moment will appear. This evening I am on a bar updating my blog and watching El Classico on the TV Barcelona against Madrid and at 75 minutes it is 2- 2 and evenly split between supporters of both sides here. Finished 2-2 too.  Today saw me pass the 100k to go mark , the minimum distance to qualify for a Compostela certificate, though these kilometre markers put in by the Galician government are incorrect because the route has since changed. Still it seemed appropriate to mark the occasion with a photo. I have to make sure I have my Credential Stamped twice a day from now on. This is available at churches, Albergues and bars so I think I will manage~! Today I have been applauded by other pilgrims, though that has happened before, and cyclists stop to ask to have my picture taken with them. But my heroes today are two guys carrying a disabled friend on a stretcher. I didn't think it was appropriate to take a photo but they deserved one and applause not me. Buen Camino the common exchange between pilgrims was all the words I could muster but nonetheless a heartfelt wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment