Thursday 4 October 2012

Run to the hills

Sorry I have been away from wi fi for a couple of days. I waited until 8 am to leave Astorga so I could get some photos of it's features in the rising sun's light. Another beautiful building is the Cathedral and next to it Gaudi's Episcopal Palace. Then followed a day of mainly walking as it was  uphill and though the sun shone, the sound of thunder over the Montes de Leon rumbled to my left until midday. The highest point on the whole route lay in wait at Cruz de Ferro at 1505m. If you have seen the film The Way, this is where people movingly left tokens or placed a stone symbolising a lost son or something significant on the journey of life. To be honest it looked a bit of a mess given the number of pilgrims that pass by. Not quite the poignant moment for me! Nonetheless another prayer was offered here as I touched the pole scrambling carefully down the mound of smooth stones. I was worried about the descent to come given my leg ached but pressing on I found it hurt much less if I ran....so I ran being used to this loose rocky trail from hills at home. I only fell once but bounced back up and after I fell the leg hurt less! I ended up in a lovely mountain village called Riego de Ambros after passing through others just as inviting in the late afternoon sun -I think that was another 25 miles. My reward a Pilgrim's Menu in the only restaurant in the village for 10 euros three courses and a whole bottle of wine to myself....I couldn't drink it all and went out to enjoy a beautiful sunset over the village church.

No comments:

Post a Comment